Saturday, February 26, 2011

Happy Henna Time

So I am typing this with one hand. No worries, I am not hurt or anything. I drew henna on myself and that takes about six hours to dry. I was going to go to bed, so my hand is mummified in toilet paper (what is recommended for going to bed with drying henna). But before i mummified my hand, i took some pictures, yea! Now if you aren't familiar with henna, think of it as a really long lasting (up to four weeks), intricate (and awesome) temporary tattoo.

The henna itself comes from the leaves of the Lawsonia Inermis plant, aka the Henna plant, which is actually a small tree. 'Henna' comes in three colors, but only the traditional (orangish-brown) is true henna. The leaves are ground up and turned into a powder which is then made into a paste and applied very finely. The paste has to remain on the skin for several hours in order to 'dye' it. The pictures I took are of are 'fresh' (ie: still with the paste on)' the actual henna won't be as dark (i may take pictures of it then too).










I drew this by myself, freehand, it took at least an hour. I think for my first time (the last pic is my favorite piece until i smeared it a bit). Well i hope you enjoy my first ever bit of 'body art'. :)

If you are interested in learning more about Henna, check out The Henna Page. Goodnight/good morning and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment